Position: Marketing Intern
Reports to: Marketing Director
Time: position available Spring, Summer and Fall semesters
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Marketing Intern will assist Discovery Center staff with a variety of activities designed to provide him/her broad exposure to the marketing tasks common in a non-profit setting. Under the direction of the marketing manager, examples of specific tasks include:
- Assisting with email and digital marketing campaigns
- Assisting with Google Analytics and Google Ad Words campaigns
- Assisting at special events and media news conferences
- Updating website content
- Taking photos and video
- Assisting with social media
- Designing posters; postcards; ads; etc (if candidate has graphic design experience)
- Creating and updating local, regional and national media lists
- Researching local and regional demographics, media outlets, consumer trends, and other marketing-driven data to assist in crafting integrated marketing communications plans
- Conducting visitor surveys
- …and other duties as assigned.
This position is unpaid, unless it is part of a college’s work study/cooperative internship program. For unpaid marketing internships, a small stipend ($250) will be provided. In addition, class credit can be offered depending on the requirements of the applicant’s college/university. Depending on qualifications and interest, the position may be extended beyond a semester or summer program.
The ideal candidate will be a local college undergraduate pursuing a degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Graphic Design, Journalism, or Communications (MBA candidates with an interest or experience in marketing will also be considered). Candidates should also possess:
- Strong written, verbal and organizational skills
- Experience with MS Office, Internet tools and research
- Experience using social media tools
- A sense of humor, a willingness to learn and a professional demeanor
Applicants must be available a minimum of 12 hours per week. Hours are flexible, but you must be available to work at least 2 continuous hours on a given weekday. Some work may be completed outside the office.
For full consideration, submit a resume and two writing (marketing or journalism writing preferred, academic writing acceptable) and/or graphic design samples to:
Ann Marie Walker, Marketing Director
711 N. Main Street; Rockford, IL 61103
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis.